Located in the heart of Oakland’s historic Fruitvale district at the Saint Elizabeth Campus, Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School (CRDLS) is a diverse, Lasallian Catholic learning community that educates young people of limited economic means to become men and women of faith, purpose, and service. A rigorous and personalized college preparatory curriculum integrated with a corporate work study experience prepares students to succeed in college and in life.
Our Unique Approach
Working at CRDLS is UNLIKE working in a traditional high school environment.
We are proponents of personalized learning. CRDLS leverages the Summit Learning platform to aid in the delivery of its educational program. The school is sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers of the Lasallian District of San Francisco New Orleans and is a member of the Cristo Rey network.
We are committed to the principles of restorative and wholeness practices, and we integrate a unique corporate work study program in the educational experience of each student associate. Each student associate is employed five days per month by a corporate partner, local business, or community agency which, in turn, provides socio-political capital and tuition assistance.
CRDLS is seeking a Principal. The school is sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, District of San Francisco New Orleans. A member of the Cristo Rey Network, CRDLS utilizes a Corporate Work Study Program modeled after the successful programs at all 37 Cristo Rey Network schools. All students are required to complete a college preparatory curriculum and participate in the Work Study Program. Under this Corporate Work Study Program, each student is employed one day per week by a local business or community agency to provide tuition assistance and complement the school’s on-site curricular program.
Reporting directly to the President, the Principal will be a dynamic leader committed to providing high quality education to Oakland youth, especially students of limited economic means. The Principal must demonstrate a record of academic leadership, executive management, and the achievement of innovative operational and strategic goals. A visionary leader is sought, one who is rooted in the Catholic faith and who can effectively represent and articulate the school’s mission to its various constituencies.
An ideal candidate for Principal will be a practicing Catholic who has 3 or more years of demonstrated success in an administrative role in a secondary school environment. The candidate must possess and model strong leadership skills, desire collaborative team management, exhibit cultural competency, be committed to understanding and embracing the cultural backgrounds of students and families, possess both excellent written and oral communication skills, and have experience as a supervisor of personnel
with budgetary responsibility. We hope to be intentional in our hiring efforts to create a team that best reflects the lived experiences and backgrounds of our student body. We seek a leader who believes in school as community, embraces diversity, and who understands the role of Principal in these specific areas: equity and inclusion, faith formation, the development of institutional culture, instructional and academic leadership as it relates to personalized learning, and co-curricular and service programs.
● At least three years of successful experience in a similar role;
● Master’s degree in education;
● Minimum five years’ experience middle and/or high school teaching;
● Proficiency in Equity and Inclusion work;
● Standard health and background checks including department of justice fingerprinting.
● Knowledge of Summit Learning, personalized learning and the Cristo Rey Network; ● Prior teaching experience or work with underserved youth;
● Spanish spoken and written proficiency.
Seven Essential Characteristics of an Educator at Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School
- ● Commits to working with young people, and accompanies our student associates to become agents of their academic success;
- ● Exhibits the flexibility to pivot and is comfortable with change and transition;
- ● Listens to new educational research, displays a growth mindset, and engages in lifelong learning;
- ● Models mindfulness, culturally responsive and relevant teaching, wholeness and restorativejustice practices;
- ● Collaborates openly and communicates authentically with colleagues to build an inclusiveeducational community;
- ● Takes creative initiative, is resourceful, organized, self-directed, and is reflective and loving indisposition;
- ● Appreciates our Lasallian Catholic heritage and tradition, and respects religious plurality.
Assume responsibilities by July 1, 2021. Competitive salary with full benefits.
Review of applications to begin February 1, 2021. Interviews will begin as early as late February. Applications accepted through February 28, 2021.
Please email résumé, letter of intent demonstrating qualifications for the position as per job description, three references with complete contact information, and brief description of your educational philosophy to:
Katie Batt | Office of Education, Lasallian District of San Francisco New Orleans | Email: email@example.com