Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School is a diverse, Lasallian Catholic learning community that educates young people to become men and women of faith, purpose, and service. A rigorous and personalized college preparatory curriculum integrated with a corporate work study experience prepares students of limited economic means to succeed in college and in life.
Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School opened as a Roman Catholic, co-educational, secondary school in the fall of 2018 on the campus formerly home to Saint Elizabeth’s High School. The school is sponsored by the De La Salle Christian Brothers, District of San Francisco New Orleans. Cristo Rey De La Salle integrates rigorous college preparatory academics with an innovative Corporate Work Study Program, as do the successful programs operating at all 35 Cristo Rey Network schools. Under the Corporate Work Study Program, each student is employed one day per week by a local business or community agency to provide tuition assistance and complement the school’s on-site curricular program.
The President (as CEO of the school) is hired by and accountable to the school’s Board of Trustees, which in turn is responsible to the Lasallian Education Corporation (the oversight entity for the De La Salle Christian Brothers of the District of San Francisco New Orleans).
As the Board’s only employee, the President has overall responsibility for the management of the school, including both the academic programs and the Corporate Work Study Program. The President will lead the school in the development, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of an excellent program that supports and promotes the Lasallian educational mission and its values with special emphasis on the religious and spiritual orientation of the school, while at the same time ensuring that the school is a fully collaborative Member of the Cristo Rey Network.
The President will be the school’s visionary leader and principal institutional spokesperson to all of the school’s constituents.
The President will be responsible for the sound fiscal management of the institution. The President will establish a collaborative relationship with the Board of Trustees in the formulation of annual and long-term financial goals and for a development program capable of achieving these goals. In addition, the President will develop, in collaboration with the Board of Trustees, annual operational objectives and longer-range strategic plans. The President will create and maintain a stimulating and professional environment in which faculty and work-study staff interact to discuss and resolve academic and work-study related operational issues. A commitment to an inclusive and diverse culture of community is essential.
• Interpretation and implementation of the school’s philosophy in a manner which is consistent with Lasallian pedagogy and spirituality.
• Maintain fidelity to and accountability under the Mission Effectiveness Standards of the Cristo Rey Network.
• Development and direction of ethical fundraising activities, including the cultivation of potential donors, solicitation of grants and donations, unrestricted and restricted, from foundations, trusts, organizations, and individuals in close cooperation with the school’s development office.
• Development and supervision of the school’s marketing, public relations, admissions, alumni, and business activities.
• Representing and promoting the school in terms of community relations, marketing and fund development.
• Acting as the school’s liaison with the Lasallian Education Corporation, the Cristo Rey Network, and the Diocese of Oakland.
• Oversight of all school finances and development of the yearly budget for final approval by the Board of Trustees.
• Execution of all contracts and agreements, consistent with the directives of the Board of Trustees.
• Oversight of plant decisions, including construction of new facilities, re-disposition of physical space, acquisition of major new equipment, and asset protection.
• Supervision of the evaluation and professional development of all personnel.
• Participation in the activities and structures of the De La Salle Christian Brothers District of San Francisco New Orleans that are designed for school administrators in the District.
• Participation in the Cristo Rey Network meetings of all Presidents and the Annual Meeting.
• Supervision of the Principal who is charged with managing all academic matters of the school.
• Supervision of the Director of the Corporate Work Study Program, the Development Director and the Admissions Director, among others.
Traits and Characteristics
The President will be a solid manager who partners with the administration, Brothers, faculty, staff, board, parents, and other key constituencies of the school in support of the Lasallian educational philosophy. The President will be a strong, sensitive leader and an inspirational manager able to articulate the vision of a Lasallian Catholic college preparatory education for economically marginalized families and students of the Fruitvale community and beyond. The President should have a genuine affection for the human and Christian education of the young, a passion for serving marginalized communities, an informed commitment to the Cristo Rey mission and have the ability and willingness to relate well to students, be visible to them and interact with them regularly on campus and at various school events.
The ability to create a collaborative, inclusive and equitable environment, conducive to sincere and open communication is critical. The President should have an accessible, open and approachable style, which demonstrates a willingness to listen and encourage the development of new ideas while also offering creative solutions to a variety of challenges. It is important that the individual have a high level of cultural competency and be comfortable leading a diverse school community.
The individual needs to be a facilitative coalition builder who can work at multiple levels, with different segments and with different sectors. At the same time, the President must be adept at academic and public communication, educational innovation, sound fiscal management, and the development of new sources of funding.
The President must be a practicing Roman Catholic whose faith is visible and inspiring in daily life and work.
First and foremost, the President must be committed to the Lasallian Catholic charism and the Cristo Rey educational model, with its focus on traditionally underserved students, and have passion for the distinct values and academic standards of Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School such that s/he can inspire people to support this unique education model.
• Awareness of and commitment to the Lasallian Catholic traditions of education service and social justice, the credibility to lead and represent a Lasallian Catholic organization with integrity, and facility for working well with diverse faith communities.
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders, and to build creative and mutually beneficial relationships within the philanthropic, corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors.
• The ability to build strong relationships with people of all racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• Proven fundraising and/or revenue generating success, preferably in the non-profit sector and with foundations.
• Significant visionary leadership and management experience, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs while driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all stakeholders.
• The executive presence to inspire organizational and professional confidence, passion and persistence in an ambitious, fast-paced, and results-oriented period of growth, all while maintaining a positive work environment.
• The maturity and wisdom required to optimize others’ engagement in the mission.
• Strategic planning experience and execution capabilities.
• Strong budget management skills.
• Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability.
• Urban experience with people of limited income.
• Unquestionable integrity.
Career Path Leading To This Position
While the President must have a demonstrated capacity for broad institutional leadership, it is possible that the individual could have attained this experience through a variety of different career paths, including K-12 education, higher education, non-profit management or the corporate or public sector. It is important for the President to have demonstrated a strong record of achievement in fund raising and revenue generation. It is also important that the President have a solid understanding of education and a demonstrated capacity for articulating a vision that incorporates the best aspects of Catholic education within the Lasallian heritage.
An undergraduate degree is required; an advanced degree is highly desirable.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and a comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
The new President will assume the position asap.
Please direct all inquiries, application materials and nominations in confidence to:
Matthew Powell Interim President, Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School
Telephone: (510) 513-3184 | Email: email@example.com
Candidates should express their interest and begin the application process as soon as possible. Please submit:
• Letter of intent demonstrating qualifications for the position as per the job description
• Brief description of your educational philosophy
• Three references with complete contact information
Electronic submission of credentials is expected.
Cristo Rey De La Salle is an Equal Opportunity Employer