Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School (in the heart of Oakland’s historic Fruitvale district on the St. Elizabeth Campus) partners with East Bay families of limited means to provide their students a unique opportunity to receive a holistic education and become students in service of others. Through a rigorous curriculum built around personalized learning, professional work experience, and the centuries old Lasallian tradition of providing education to those most in need, Cristo Rey De La Salle students graduate prepared to thrive in college and compete in a rapidly developing world.
The Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP) modeled after the successful programs at 35+ Cristo Rey Network schools. All students are required to complete a college preparatory curriculum and participate in the Corporate Work Study Program concurrently. Each student is employed five days per month by a local business, non-profit, or government agency to provide tuition assistance and complement the school’s on-site curricular program.
The school includes a subsidiary employment agency which trains the students for entry-level employment, hires them, and markets their services to corporate clients. Typically, four students share one full-time position throughout the academic year. The fees for the students’ services go directly to the school to pay a significant portion of the cost of education.
Mission: Cristo Rey De La Salle East Bay High School, St. Elizabeth Campus, is a diverse, Lasallian Catholic learning community that educates young people of limited economic means to become men and women of faith, purpose, and service. A rigorous and personalized college preparatory curriculum integrated with a corporate work study experience prepares students to succeed in college and in life.
Purpose: Under the supervision of the Vice President of the Corporate Work Study Program, the CWSP Business Instructor will largely be responsible for developing and delivering content to help strengthen students’ professional skills. A critical function of the CWSP Business Instructor is to strengthen student workforce readiness, with the purpose to better prepare our students for success in the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP) and in the 21st century knowledge-based workforce. The CWSP Business Instructor will have a chance to build on established fundamentals while creating new content and programs. The CWSP Business Instructor will help in continuing the success of this venture, preparing our students as they are introduced to the corporate work world.
The CWSP Business Instructor will develop and deliver content for grades 9 -12 that focuses on the development of the professional, technical and communication skills that are essential to the needs of our job partners and the professional development of our students. More specifically, they will prepare and present course materials, develop lesson plans, give lectures, assign homework, supervise testing and skill assessments, and provide career guidance.
The ideal candidate will have teaching/curriculum development experience, an ability to engage and develop students, an entrepreneurial spirit, and a passion for career readiness. They will be motivated to promote the overall development of the student according to Lasallian educational principles and the mission of the school.
As a member of the CWSP team, this position also supports the daily operational needs of the work program on an ad hoc basis. Longer-term, it may also include the management of a small set of job partner
Position Available: Founding Business Instructor — Corporate Work Study Program
relationships. They will follow the CWSP calendar and facilitate classes from 8am-5pm Monday to Friday. They will also attend faculty meetings and may help school administration with events and fundraisers.
Duties & Responsibilities
- ● Facilitate a year-long course with semester-long classes for grades 9- 12, with responsibility for lesson planning, assessment and ensuring student mastery of learning objectives as outlined by the Cristo Rey Network College-Preparedness and Career-Readiness Curriculum Benchmarks.
- ● Support the strategic development and refinement of a year-long curriculum and consider ways to optimize our workforce training classes and support students’ career readiness development to meet corporate partner demands.
- ● Evaluate each student with a letter grade based on tests and/or project-based work. Analyze student performance data to identify knowledge gaps and determine the necessary training to build students’ job skills.
- ● Propose and execute a plan to summarize students’ learning and skills acquired upon completion of course.
- ● Support the annual refinement and execution of Alpha Summer Institute (4-week program for rising 9th graders to develop foundational professional skills for success at their first CWSP job placement)
- ● Organize and attend parent/teacher/administrator conferences as needed.
- ● Include partner/guest speakers into lessons plans where appropriate. Work closely with the CollegeAdvisors to ensure a cohesive curriculum
- ● Other duties as assigned by the VP of Corporate Work Study ProgramQualifications
- ● A Bachelor’s degree related to the field or 4 years of experience in the classroom with curriculum formation, and/or a field related to business strongly preferred.
- ● Proficiency in DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging)
- ● Intuitive to students needs and the ability to motivate and inspire students
- ● Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- ● Ability to work well with others and lead a team
- ● Must be self-motivated, organized, flexible with excellent time management skills
- ● Devoted to learning and excited by college prep and career development
- ● Familiarity with CRM and/or Salesforce or willingness to learn
- ● Expert in and experience teaching Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite with particular emphasison Excel
- ● Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends
Commencement: Salary/Benefits: Application:
Immediate or June 2021
Competitive salary with full benefits.
Review of applications to begin April 12, 2021
Please email résumé, letter of intent demonstrating qualifications for the position as per full job description, three references with complete contact information, and a brief description of your professional philosophy to:
Associate Director, Corporate Work Study Program